Chauvin Arnoux Instrument Maker of Paris, France.
Aperiodique Brevete S.G.D.G. No. 16947-1
Milliamperes / Volt Meter 0-100 ma / 0-20 vdc
Founded in 1893 by Raphaël Chauvin and René Arnoux, Chauvin Arnoux has had a considerable influence on the development of measurement technology. A long and prestigious list of inventions, such as the Universal Tester (the precursor of the Multimeter) and the ammeter clamp, bears witness to this fact. Throughout the 20th century, Chauvin Arnoux filed more than 350 patents and trade marks.
These last few years have been marked by the gain of some impressive brand names such as Metrix, Pyro-Contrôle, Enerdis, Oritel and Radio Contrôle.
Chauvin Anroux Ltd continues to be a family owned business and is subsequently managed with the same business and work ethincs that are attributed with being such.
The company was founded by René Arnoux and Raphaël Chauvin. The current Paris premises stands on the original site.
Invention of the magneto ohmmeter. In 1923, measurement became independent of the magneto's rotation speed.
With André Arnoux, the founder's son, at the head of the company, industrial development takes a leap forward in Paris.
Invention and patent application for the 'Contrôleur Universel', the forerunner to the Multimeter. Despite this patent, the invention was to become copied throughout the world.
This early instrument dating from around 1900 – 1910 is in good original condition. This is a combination meter measuring on various scales depending which terminal the negative line is connected to. The side terminals go to tapping’s on the internal resistance coil and the positive line goes to the terminal on the top. This example is in fully working condition and is complete with calibration slips from the Inspector of Royal Engineer Stores (I.R.E.S.) Woolwich Works dated 26 July 1920 which indicates that this instrument was used by the British Military. Given this is a French instrument it is unclear when it came into service with the British Forces, it may have been acquired before or after the Great War.
The leather carry handle is also original and intact.
The following information on the I.R.E.S. has been extracted from the The Aquilla Association and their website www.aquilla-association.org which shows photos of their Wireless and Electrical sections from around the time this instrument was calibrated.
Inspector of Royal Engineer Stores established
In 1889, a Captain H.E.R. Tyler was appointed to the post of Inspector of Royal Engineer Stores (IRES). Based at the Woolwich Dockyard, the IRES assumed responsibility for the custody of the patterns used in the manufacture of all military equipment and preparation of detailed specifications to be applied in its manufacture, building on a system that had been successfully introduced by the Royal Engineers in 1871. A major change was that now, contracts for the manufacture of military equipment were issued to suppliers only after they had been audited by the IRES.
By 1900, the IRES had grown to a team of 50, under the command of Captains Wade and Lewis of the Royal Engineers. Most of the inspection staff were ex-Warrant Officers and Senior NCOs of the Royal Engineers. Working conditions were somewhat arduous; 48 hour weeks with no paid annual leave, canteen or tea breaks, for a weekly wage of 38 Shillings, rising to 45 Shillings for more experienced staff. The inspectorate at the time, although a civilian department of the War Office, was intimately linked to the British Army. The sidings at Woolwich Dockyard, where it was based, were where troops and equipment were dispatched to the Boer, and later the First World Wars. The latter part of the 19th and early 20th Centuries witnessed rapid advancements in technology, in particular military aviation and wireless communications. In 1903, the IRES assumed responsibility for electrical equipment and expanded once again, moving from its “rat infested” buildings to new purpose-built ones at the Woolwich site. Around this time, the post of Inspector of Royal Engineers Stores was upgraded to Chief Inspector of Royal Engineer Stores, with a rank of Lt. Colonel.